SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
100g popcorn kernels
150g unsalted butter
150g light brown sugar
50g golden syrup (or corn syrup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1. Pop the popcorn kernels using your preferred method (microwave or stovetop) and transfer the popped popcorn to a large mixing bowl, removing any unpopped kernels.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar, golden syrup, and salt. Let the mixture come to a boil and cook for about 4-5 minutes until it turns a deep golden colour.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and quickly stir in the vanilla extract and bicarbonate of soda. Be careful as the mixture will bubble up.
4. Pour the toffee sauce over the popped popcorn in the mixing bowl. Use a rubber spatula to gently toss and coat the popcorn evenly with the toffee sauce.
5. Spread the coated popcorn onto a large baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Let it cool completely to allow the toffee to set.
6. Break the toffee popcorn into smaller clusters if desired. Transfer the toffee popcorn to an airtight container for storage. It can be stored at room temperature for up to a week.
Keep an Eye on the Toffee Sauce: The toffee sauce can go from a perfect caramel colour to burnt quickly. As you cook the sauce, keep a close eye on it and remove it from the heat as soon as it turns a deep golden colour. This will ensure that the toffee is delicious and not bitter.