SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
¼ tsp sugar
½ tsp dried Italian herbs
180g shredded ham hock
2 x 220g frozen ready made pizza dough, defrosted
flour for rolling
salt and black pepper
olive oil spray
1. For the filling, heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the garlic and onion, fry for 5 minutes until the onion has softened, then add the passata, sugar and dried herbs. Bring to the boil and cook for about 3 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Stir in the ham, season, then set aside to cool a little.
2. Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal sized pieces, then roll each piece into an 18cm circle on a lightly floured surface.
3. Divide the filling mixture between the circles, keeping the filling to one side of the circle. Top with the mozzarella, then wet the edges of the dough with a little water. Fold the calzone, pulling the side without the filling over, then crimp around the edge to secure.
4. Transfer the calzones to two air flow racks lined with baking parchment and preheat the air fryer to 200C for 3 minutes.
5. Spray the calzone with olive oil then insert the air flow racks on the top and middle shelves of the air fryer and cook for 18-20 minutes until the pizza filling is hot and the dough is crisp and golden. Rotate the racks halfway through cooking for even browning.
For a really speedy pizza, try using a jar of ready made pizza topping.