SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA
2 aubergines, approximately 500g
3 tbsp oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, diced
1 tbsp medium curry powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
2 tbsp tomato puree, plus 3 tbsp water
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
300ml vegetable stock made with 1 low sodium vegetable stock cube
1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1. Rub the aubergines with 1 tbsp oil and place on an air flow rack on the middle shelf of the air fryer. Set the temperature to 180C and roast for 30 minutes, until the aubergines feel soft. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, add onion, pepper and remaining oil to a 23cm square roasting tin and cook for 5 minutes at 180C. Sprinkle over the dried spices, stir into the onion mixture and cook for a further minute.
3. Add the garlic, ginger paste, tomato puree and 3 tbsp water, then return the roasting tin to the air fryer and cook for a minute. Pour over the canned tomatoes and hot stock and increase the temperature to 200C for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cut the aubergine in half and use a fork to pull out and shred the aubergine. Add the shredded aubergine and chickpeas to the curry and heat for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
5. Serve the rice in bowls with the curry alongside, garnished with coriander leaves.
If you prefer a spicier curry, add ½ tsp of chilli powder.