VEGANUARY – A HEALTHY CHICKPEA BURGER TO EXCITE YOUR TASTE BUDS
This month is Veganuary, a time where people are encouraged to go vegan for the month and maybe, if it suits, carry it on throughout the year! This fun challenge offers up major health benefits and is a great way to start the New Year. The key is ensuring your meals are easy to make, delicious and keep your dietary levels balanced.
To aid you in your journey to good health and ease the pressure on our animal kingdom here is one of our favourite vegan-friendly dishes which we think will get your mouth watering this Veganuary.
A great alternative to the beef burger- this interpretation includes a mixture of chickpeas and sweetcorn- blended to create a flavoursome feast without meat or dairy. Note, the spices give this meal an extra kick.
Total Time – 35 mins, Serves – 2
• 1/2 cup chickpeas (drained, if canned)
• 1/4 cup red onion, diced
• 2 tbsps. sunflower seeds
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. soy sauce
• 1 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 tsp. smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1 large egg white
• 1/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
• 1-2 tbsps. olive oil, for frying
1. Put chickpeas and onion in a food processor, making sure the chickpeas have been broken up. Then add sunflower seeds, olive oil, soy sauce, oregano, paprika and salt and continue to blend.
2. Add the egg white and bread crumbs and pulse until mixture comes together.
3. Take mixture from the blender, run hands under water and divide mixture into two balls and shape into ½” thick patties.
4. Heat a pan over a medium to low heat. Then add olive oil followed by the burgers.
5. Fry for 5-7 minutes until the burgers are browning and crisp on the outside.
6. Flip and cook the burgers for a further 5 minutes until the burgers are cooked through and crisp on both sides.
If you’re grilling, bake at 375° in the oven for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a grill.
Keep your eyes peeled for another vegan-friendly recipe coming soon.