Tower Healthy Quick Dish: Healthy Southern Fried Crispy Chicken
This week we’ve been scouring the recipe archives here at Tower HQ to bring you a brand new recipe as part of our Tower Healthy Quick Dish Series. Over the next few months we’ll be sharing healthy, nutritious recipes that you can throw together in a matter of minutes, giving you plenty of mealtime inspiration for the whole family. Whether it’s a healthy swap for an old favourite, or a fresh new meal idea to spice up your dinner time, we’ve got you covered.
This week, we’re bringing you a delicious taste of the South with our healthy Southern Fried Crispy Chicken.
Total Time to Table: 35 minutes (plus 1 hour for marinating)
Total Cost Per Serving: £1.37
Contains Nuts? No
Suitable for Vegetarians? No
- 4 x chicken breasts (skinless and boneless)
- 150ml buttermilk
- 50g Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tbsp self-raising flour
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp English mustard powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp hot chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Pour the buttermilk into a large, shallow dish with the crushed garlic. Slice the chicken into thick slices and add to the dish, ensuring that it is well coated. Cover and place into the fridge for 1 hour to marinate.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan like the Tower 28cm Colour Change Ceramic Coated Fry Pan and add the breadcrumbs and the flour. Toast in the pan for 2-3 minutes until evenly browned.
- Transfer the crumb mix to a bowl and add the paprika, mustard, thyme, chilli powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- When the chicken has marinated, preheat the oven 230C/210C fan/gas 8 and line a baking tray like the Tower Baking Tray with foil. If possible, place a wire rack into the tray, on top of the foil.
- Add half of the crumb mixture to a large plastic bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag and gently shake to coat the chicken. Repeat the process with the other half of the ingredients.
- In a non-stick frying pan heat half of the rapeseed oil then add the chicken pieces and fry for 1 ½ minutes. Turn the chicken over, add the other half of the rapeseed oil and fry for a further 1 ½ minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to an air fryer such as the Tower 8L Digital Air Fryer and cook for 15 minutes at 230C until cooked through and golden brown.
Serve with a mixed salad and crunchy coleslaw.
Stay tuned to the Tower blog every Wednesday for more Tower Healthy Quick Dishes. If this recipe has had you reaching for your apron then be sure to take a look at our product pages before you do – we’ve a range of products at fantastic prices to help you create this dish and many more!