Tower Healthy Quick Dish: Breakfast Muffins
This week we’ve been scouring the recipe archives here at Tower HQ to bring you a brand new recipe as part of our Tower Healthy Quick Dish Series. Over the next few months we’ll be sharing healthy, nutritious recipes that you can throw together in a matter of minutes, giving you plenty of mealtime inspiration for the whole family. Whether it’s a healthy swap for an old favourite, or a fresh new meal idea to spice up your dinner time, we’ve got you covered.
This time, we’re bringing you a healthy breakfast of delicious Breakfast Muffins to kick start your day.
Recommended Appliance: Tower 12 Cup Muffin Tray
Total Time to Cook: 30 mins
Total Cost per Serving: £2.98
Contains Nuts? No
Suitable for Vegetarians? Yes
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml natural low-fat yoghurt
- 50ml rapeseed oil
- 100g apple sauce or pureed apples
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 50g rolled oats, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 100g blueberry
- 2 tbsp mixed seed (recommend pumpkin, sunflower or flaxseed)
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C, 160⁰C fan, gas mark 4. Using the Tower 12 Cup Muffin Tray, line with 12 large muffin cases
- Mix together the eggs, yoghurt, oil, apple sauce, banana, honey and vanilla
- Add the remaining ingredients except the seeds into a large bowl with a pinch of salt, then mix to combine
- Add the wet ingredients with the dry and briefly mix until a smooth batter is created – Overmixing will make the muffins heavy
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases and sprinkle with the extra oats and seeds
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. To test, insert a skewer into the centre and remove. If skewer comes out clean, then your muffins are done, if the skewer is coated in mixture, put back into the oven for a little while longer
- Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack, leave to cool
- Store in a sealed container for up to 3 days
Either enjoy as a nutritious breakfast to kick start your day or as a mid-morning snack for the perfect pick-me-up!
Stay tuned to the Tower blog every Wednesday for more Tower Healthy Quick Dishes. If this recipe has had you reaching for your apron then be sure to take a look at our product pages before you do – we’ve a range of products at fantastic prices to help you create this dish and many more!