Posted in: Recipes
Retro Recipe Revival: Crispy Mongolian LambIt’s time for another one from the archives, this time from a recipe book that accompanied the Tower Pressure Cooker sold throughout the late-90s. This week’s Retro Recipe Revival sees us bring a taste of Asia to your dinnertime with exotic flavours sure to spice up your Autumn evenings– it’s Crispy Mongolian Lamb.
Recommended applianceTower 4.5 Litre Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Total time to table: 2 hours 10 minutes Total Cost Per Serving: £3.82p Contains Nuts? No Suitable for Vegetarians? No Serves: 2
- 1 breast of lamb (around 750g)
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 6 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 150ml (1/4 pint) rice wine
- 1 tbsp Chinese five-spice
- 1 round lettuce (leaves separated)
- 3 spring onions (cut into thin strips)
- ¼ cucumber (cut into matchstick sized pieces)
- Slice your ginger and crush your garlic. You can do this by hand or save time and effort with the Tower Dual Bladed Mini Chopper.
- Next, place the lamb breast into the pressure cooker with the rest of the ingredients and just enough water to cover the meat.
- Cook on a high heat for 50 minutes before slowly releasing the pressure.
- Allow the meat to cool, in the cooking liquid to let it take on even more of the flavour. You can do this a couple of days in advance to allow the lamb to cool fully in the fridge.
- Once the lamb has cooled, carefully lift it out of the liquid and transfer to a heatproof pan. Something like the Tower Cast Iron Au Gratin Oval Roaster is perfect. Grill on a medium heat until crispy and hot through.
- While the lamb grills, skim the excess fat from the cooking liquid and bubble until you have a thick and syrupy consistency. Pour into a small serving bowl.
- To prepare the lamb, remove most of the fat and any bones and shred the meat. Make sure you keep the crispy skin - you can make the skin even crispier by placing it into a hot oven while you shred the lamb.
ServingRoll the shredded lamb in the lettuce leaves and add some cucumber, shredded spring onions and a generous spoonful of sauce. For an even heartier meal, serve your crispy lamb with fluffy steamed rice. Take a look at our tips on How to Cook Rice to Perfection for the perfect accompaniment to your delicious lamb. If this recipe or others from the Retro Recipe Revival series have you reaching for the apron and clamouring to get busy in the kitchen then head over to our Pressure Cookers and Food Preparation pages before you do. There’s all manner of useful appliances (in addition to those mentioned here) that can help you make this culinary creation and more.
Did you like this post?