Posted in: Recipes
Meals That Will Win You Friends During Freshers WeekIt’s that time of year again, with students all over the country packing up and heading off to uni. Getting to grips with halls of residence can be a challenge - the tiny rooms, constant parties and negotiating your way around your new university town must all be overcome in those first few days. Fresher’s Week however is also the time when friendships are forged. Here at Tower, we firmly believe that the way to people’s hearts is through their stomachs and so we thought we’d share with you a few hangover-busting recipes that are sure to cement your place as everyone’s favourite housemate…
Easy Chilli Con CarneThis easy Chilli Con Carne is sure to be a winner with your new flatmates. You can throw everything into the same pan – perfect for washing-up dodgers, and at under £2.00 per serving, it won’t eat too much into your student loan either!
- Chop your onion, the red pepper and crush the garlic cloves.
- In a pan (we recommend the Tower 20cm Porcelain Enamel Casserole), heat the oil on a medium temperature, fry the diced onion for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but without colour. Add the pepper and spices and leave to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up a little then break up the mince and add to the pan, keep stirring until the meat is browned.
- Crumble in the beef stock cube with around 300ml of hot water, then pop in your chopped tomatoes, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and 2 tbsp tomato puree. Stir together.
- Bring everything to the boil, then turn down to a low heat and leave it to simmer gently for around 20 minutes. You will need to stir it occasionally to stop it from catching.
- After 20 minutes, your chilli mixture should be thick and glossy. Add the kidney beans and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat, place the lid on and leave to stand for about 10-15 minutes (this lets the meat take on even more flavour).
- Serve on top of plain boiled long grain rice, sprinkle with cheese and top with a generous helping of soured cream. Check out our How To Cook Rice To Perfection article if you need a few pointers on preparing the white, fluffy stuff.
15 Minute Bacon & Pepperoni PastaSuper-quick and full of flavour, you can whip up this quick pasta dish in just 15 minutes. It’s the perfect dish when everyone’s round at yours, plus, the carbohydrate packed pasta is the ideal way to line your stomach before your first night out at the SU.
- Slice the bacon and pepperoni into roughly square pieces and crush the garlic.
- In a frying pan, add the garlic and fry on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the bacon pieces. Fry until cooked through and starting to brown slightly.
- While the bacon cooks, add the pasta to a pan of salted, boiling water. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Next, add the pepperoni to the pan with the bacon and cook for around 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat down and add the tomatoes, mixed herbs, a pinch of salt and pepper, and leave to gently simmer while your pasta cooks.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and add to the pan with the sauce, stirring until the pasta is completely coated. The slotted spoon in the Tower 6 Piece Cerasafe Utensil Set is a great too for this job.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 180°/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the sausages into an ovenproof pan (the Tower 24cm Cast Iron Square Grill Pan is great for this), then put the pan on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for around 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and add in the bacon lardons. Next, cook for a further 10 minutes or until everything starts to brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tin of beans then mix everything together in the pan before cracking the eggs on top. Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked through.
- Serve in the pan, with toast for dipping.
Did you like this post?