Posted in: Recipes
Magic Mother's Day Meals: Pistachio Cakes DessertMother’s Day is tomorrow (Sunday 15 March) and if you’ve been a thoughtful son or daughter there’s a good chance that you’ll have selected a perfect gift to show your appreciation to your mum this Sunday. If you haven’t, don’t fret as here at Tower we’ve got the answer. Our Magic Mother’s Day Meals feature has been running over the past couple of days and shows you how to create a delicious meal for Mum in easy to follow steps. So far we’ve covered starter (Butternut Squash Soup) and main (Asparagus & Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast) and today we’re showing you how to create a delicious dessert in the form of Pistachio Cakes. Total time to table: 35 minutes Total Cost Per Serving: 55p Contains Nuts? Yes Suitable for Vegetarians? No Serves: 12
- 140g pistachios, (¼ of quantity chopped)
- 175g lightly salted butter (softened)
- 75g plain flour
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- x 2 large eggs
- x 2 tsp vanilla extract
- x 2 tbsp milk
- 290g full-fat cream cheese
- 50g lightly salted butter (softened)
- 100g icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/320F/Gas Mark 4, grease a 12-hole silicone muffin or metal baking tray and dust with flour.
- Place the pistachios in a food processor and use the pulse function in short bursts until finely chopped. Add the remaining cake ingredients and blend again until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Fill each hole of the silicon or metal tray 2/3 full, place in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the mould for around 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of each individual cake and turn out onto a wire rack.
- Next, make the icing. Using a whisk, blend 3 tbsp of cream cheese with the softened, lightly salted butter until smooth, then add the remaining cream cheese and icing sugar.
- Continue to mix until creamy, and then transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle. Place the bag in the fridge to chill until ready to use.
- When the cakes are cool, pipe spikes of icing on top of each one, then sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
- Arrange on a cake rack (if you have one) or plate and serve with camomile tea for that authentic high-tea experience!