Posted in: Recipes
Magic Mothers Day Meals: Pea and Ham Soup RecipeWith Mother’s Day coming up this Sunday (6 March), there’s never been a better time to show how much you appreciate your Mum, and how better to treat your special lady than with a lovingly prepared meal. If culinary excellence isn’t quite your forte and you find stepping into the kitchen and donning an apron a little daunting, there’s no need to worry, as throughout this week we’ll be sharing step by step guides on how to cook up a sensational three course meal that is sure to wow your lovely mum. Today, it’s all about the starter, with this easy to make Pea and Ham Soup. Total time to table: 30 minutes Total Cost Per Serving: £1.09 Contains Nuts? No Suitable for Vegetarians? No Serves: 4
- 500g frozen peas
- 700ml chicken stock
- x1 tbsp olive oil
- x1 small onion (roughly chopped)
- x1 leek (roughly chopped)
- x2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- x1 tsp thyme
- 200g bacon lardons
- Salt and pepper (to taste)To serve
- Lightly grilled French bread
- Roughly chop the onions, leeks and garlic cloves.
- Into a soup maker like the Tower 1.7L Glass Soup Maker, add the olive oil, onions, leeks and bacon lardons and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the peas, garlic, thyme and chicken stock, then cook for 20 minutes until the ingredients are tender.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth and silky and add seasoning to taste.
For the bread
- Cut a French baguette into diagonal slices and rub lightly with olive oil and a garlic clove.
- Add into a grill pan (the Tower 24cm Grill Pan would be ideal) and grill for a 1 minute on each side or until lightly golden.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately accompanied by the toasted French bread. If there’s a little too much soup for one serving, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days- just make sure you store it in a suitable, airtight container to keep it fresh.