Posted in: Lifestyle
I Pity The Fool: 3 Tasty Treat TricksIt’s April 1st which can mean only one thing - it’s April Fool’s Day, a day where thanks to an old medieval tradition, practical jokes are the norm. Everyone from the media to your dear old grandad could be planning something slightly sinister and everyone is being extra careful not to fall for the prank and become the April fool. But if you are feeling in a bit of a trick and a treat mood then don’t be a fool and look no further as we bring you three tasty sweet treats that will have your whole family thinking that you have served up the wrong course this April Foods Day.
Cheeseburger CupcakesWe’ve all heard of a cheese cake, but how many of you have heard of a cheese burger cake? Surprise the whole family this April Fool’s Day with these savoury looking sweet treats! Total time: 45 minutes Total Cost: £3.83 Contains Nuts? No Suitable for Vegetarians? Yes Makes: 9 cheeseburgers
IngredientsFor the cake:
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g white caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 125g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 100g ready to roll green icing
- 100g ready to roll yellow icing
- Red icing pen
- Preheat your oven to 160C/Gas Mark 4. Place your cupcake cases into a muffin tin, like the Tower 12 Cup Muffin Tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric hand whisk to cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together. We would suggest using the Tower 300W Stainless Steel Electric Hand Mixer to do this.
- Beat in the eggs and fold in the sifted flour and baking powder. Continue to do this until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide three quarters of the mixture equally into 9 cupcake cases.
- Stir the cocoa powder into the remaining mixture and equally spoon this into the remaining three cases.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, once baked remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Peel the cases off all of the cupcakes.
- Halve the vanilla cupcakes horizontally – these will be used as your burger buns.
- Cut the chocolate cakes horizontally into three – these will be used as your burgers.
- Dust a surface with icing sugar and roll out your green and yellow icing. Using a round cookie cutter, stamp out 9 circles of each colour.
- Make the buttercream in a mixing bowl by creaming the butter until it is pale and soft. Then add the icing sugar a little at a time until the mixture is at a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the bottom burger buns with buttercream and add the green lettuce icing. Add a layer of buttercream and top the lettuce with a chocolate cake burger, add another layer of buttercream then add a slice of the yellow icing cheese to your burger.
- Finally top your cheese with a squirt of red icing pen ketchup and secure with your top burger bun.
Spaghetti & Meatballs Cake ToppersBring a taste of Italy to everyone’s favourite course – dessert. Everyone will be shocked when you tell them that this sweet treat is not a trick! Total time: 10 minutes Total Cost: £3.85 Contains Nuts? Yes Suitable for Vegetarians? Yes Makes: 6 toppers
- 200g vanilla flavoured frosting
- 100g ready to roll yellow icing
- Yellow food colouring
- 6 large hazelnut chocolates (such as Ferrero Rocher – unwrapped)
- 25g white chocolate(grated)
- 150g strawberry jam
- Using the recipe above, make your cupcakes and let them cool.
- Once cooled spread each cupcake with a thick layer of vanilla frosting.
- Using the Tower Spudnik Spiralizer turn your ready to roll icing into spaghetti spirals.
- Curl the spirals onto the top of each cupcake
- Coat the hazelnut chocolates with half of the jam in a bowl. Then spoon the other half of the jam onto each cupcake. This will create your meatballs and tomato sauce.
- Place the chocolate meatballs on top of your spaghetti and drizzle with any remaining jam sauce.
- Sprinkle your grated white chocolate over the cupcakes to finish off – this will look like parmesan cheese!
Margherita Pizza CookieEveryone will look twice at this tasty Margherita cookie. Serve it in a pizza box for added April Fools confusion! Will you be ordering yours for delivery or collection? Total time: 6 (plus 4 hours chilling time) Total Cost: £4.45 Contains Nuts? No Suitable for Vegetarians? Yes Makes: 8 slices
- 1 packet chocolate chip cookie dough
- 450g fresh strawberries (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 225g sugar
- 50g white chocolate (grated)
PreparationTo make the jam:
- Put the strawberries, lemon juice and sugar into a slow cooker. We would suggest the Tower 5L Digital Multi Cooker.
- Cook this mixture on a low setting for 2 hours.
- Remove the lid and give the mixture a stir.
- Continue to cook the jam uncovered for 2-3 hours or until the mixture has a thicker syrup like texture.
- Let the jam cool in the slow cooker for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 190C and grease your baking tray.
- Roll your cookie dough into a ball. You will then need to roll this out into a flat circle, roughly 12 to 14 inches in diameter.
- Transfer your pizza circle to your baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooled spread your jam over your cookie leaving gaps around the edges, this will look like your tomato base.
- Next sprinkle your grated chocolate over the top so it looks like cheese. If you like your pizza with extra cheese, simply grate more chocolate and get sprinkling.
Did you like this post?