Healthy Quick Dish: Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew with Spinach
Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew with Spinach This week we’ve been scouring the recipe archives here at Tower HQ to bring you a brand new recipe as part of our Tower Healthy Quick Dish Series. Over the next few months we’ll be sharing healthy, nutritious recipes that you can throw together, giving you plenty of mealtime inspiration for the whole family. Whether it’s a healthy swap for an old favourite, or a fresh new meal idea to spice up your dinner time, we’ve got you covered.
This week we are bringing you a spicy stew that is sure to warm up the chilliest of Autumn evenings- it’s Spiced Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew with Spinach.
Recommended appliance: 26cm Cast Iron Round Casserole
Total Time to Table: 55 minutes
Contains Nuts? No
Suitable for Vegetarians? No
3 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
190g bag spinach
1 tbsp sunflower oil
8 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
500ml chicken stock
For the spice paste
2 onions, chopped
1 red chilli, chopped
1 tsp paprika
thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
400g can tomatoes
2 preserved lemons, deseeded and chopped
- Into a large saucepan, place the sweet potato and cover with boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the paste by putting all of the paste ingredients into a food processor and blending. Set aside until needed.
- Place the spinach leaves into a colander and pour over the sweet potato and cooking water to gently wilt the spinach as you drain the potatoes.
- Place a large casserole pan like the Tower 26cm Cast Iron Round Casserole onto the hob and add a little oil and the spiced paste. Fry the paste for around 5 minutes until slightly thickened before adding the chicken thighs. Fry for around 10 minutes until the chicken begins to brown.
- Pour over the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- The chicken will be cooked when it is white all the through with pink areas. Add salt and pepper to season then add the cooked sweet potato.
- Leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes and add in the spinach, stir to combine.
- Serve in bowls with crusty bread for dipping.
Stay tuned to the Tower blog every Wednesday for more Tower Healthy Quick Dishes. If this recipe has had you reaching for your apron then be sure to take a look at our product pages before you do – we’ve a range of products at fantastic prices to help you create this dish and many more!