Fantastic Father’s Day Feast: Honey & Mustard Coated Steak Skewers Starter
Father’s Day is next Sunday (21 June) and offers folk young and old a great opportunity to show their gratitude dear old dad, and what better way to do so than by cooking a lovingly prepared meal! If the thought of stepping into the kitchen and donning the apron is a tad daunting though, don’t worry as over the next three days of our Fantastic Father’s Day Feast feature we’ll be providing you with the steps to create a three course meal your dad will love, beginning today with a delicious Honey & Mustard Coated Steak Skewers starter.
Total time to table: 25 minutes
Total Cost Per Serving: £3.80
Contains Nuts? No
Suitable for Vegetarians? No
- 150g rib-eye beef (cut into thick strips and set on skewer)
- 85g mange tout (halved lengthways)
- 85g baby sweetcorn (halved lengthways)
- x 2 onions (quartered)
- x 4 cherry tomatoes
- x 2 green peppers (quartered)
- x 1tbsp soy sauce
- x 2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of x 1 lime
- x 2tsp clear honey
- x 2tbsp whole grain mustard
- Fresh rocket (to garnish)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Heat a grill pan over a high heat until lightly smoking whilst you cut the steak into thick strips (the 4.5-inch utility knife in this Tower 5 Piece Knife Set is ideal for this task).
- Next, rub the steak in one tablespoon of the olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add to the grill pan and cook for around 1-2 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside to keep warm.
- Heat a wok containing the remaining one tablespoon of olive oil, add the garlic and fry for one minute.
- Add the baby corn, mange tout, peppers and onions to the wok and fry for around 1 minute before adding the soy sauce, chilli flakes, lime juice and honey and cook for a further minute.
- Coat the steak with the whole grain mustard by submerging the skewers in the sauce in the wok. Once sufficiently coated, remove the steak skewers and place to one side.
- Build each skewer by placing once piece of veg, then one piece of steak, followed by another piece of veg, onto the skewer. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the lots and place the lot onto a serving plate and garnish with fresh rocket. To find out how to get the best out of your grill pan (including information on effective cleaning), check out our handy guide.
A tasty yet not too taxing starter we think you’ll agree. Hopefully that’s got you primed for a spot of culinary creativity in order to show your appreciation for dear old dad. We’ll be bringing you two more courses between now and Father’s Day, so be sure to come back tomorrow when we’ll show you how to make the marvellous main; Pop’s Paella.
Don’t forget our Daddy of All Deals offer is still going on either – if you want to scoop 25% off any Tower product between now and Father’s Day just enter the discount code DADDYSDEAL25 at the checkout.