Beef and Wild Mushroom Pie
Made in the 5 in 1 Tower Digital Air Fryer
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 1 hour 20 minutes
800g braising steak, cut into 2 cm cubes
100g diced smoked pancetta
100g echalion shallots, peeled, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
20g butter, softened
30g plain flour, plus extra for rolling pastry
3 tbsp madeira or port
900ml good quality beef stock, boiling
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
250g mixed wild mushrooms, roughly chopped
250g puff pastry (½ block)
1 small egg, beaten
Salt and black pepper
- Place braising steak, pancetta, shallots and garlic in an approximately 22cm square roasting tin and stir in the oil. Place the roasting tin onto the middle shelf of the air fryer and set the temperature to 180C. Cook for 10 minutes to brown the meat, stirring the mixture halfway through cooking to ensure that the meat is evenly browned.
- Remove the roasting tin from the air fryer and stir in the butter until it has melted, then sprinkle over the flour; stirring so that the meat is fully coated in the flour. Return the roasting tin to the air fryer and continue to cook out the flour for 4 minutes at 180C.
- Next pour the madeira and 800ml of the boiling stock over the steak, season well with salt and black pepper then add the sprigs of thyme and bay leaves. Return the roasting tin to the air fryer on the middle shelf again and lower the temperature to 160C for 45 minutes, stirring the pie filling halfway through.
- When the meat is tender, remove the roasting tin from the air fryer, stir in the mushrooms and add the remaining stock if the sauce looks a little dry. Cover the roasting tin tightly with foil and return to the air fryer for 20 minutes. The meat should be very tender and the sauce rich and thick. Discard the thyme and bay leaves and check the seasoning, then transfer the filling mixture to a deep enamel pie dish that fits into the air fryer.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a circle that is large enough to cover the top of the pie. Brush the rim of the pie dish with egg and place the pastry on top. Trim off any excess pastry then crimp the edges of the pie. Use the pastry trimmings to make some pastry leaves to decorate the pie, then prick the pastry with a fork a couple of times to create an escape for any steam. Brush the remaining egg glaze over the pie.
- Place the pie on the middle shelf of the air fryer, set the temperature to 180C and bake for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and well risen.
- If you like, serve the pie with creamy mashed potato and seasonal vegetables of your choice.
Chestnut mushrooms also work really well in this recipe, rather than wild mushrooms if you prefer.