Posted in: How To
12 Days of Tower Christmas - Nut Roast RecipeThe 10th day of Tower Christmas is dedicated to all the vegetarians out there! Here's a mouth-watering Christmas dinner nut roast recipe! Nut Roast recipe Ingredients 1 tbsp olive oil 15g butter 1 large onion, finely chopped 2 sticks celery, finely chopped 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 200g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped 1 red pepper, halved, deseeded and finely diced 1 large carrot, grated 1 tsp dried oregano 1 tsp smoked paprika 100g red lentils 2 tbsp tomato purée 300ml vegetable stock 100g fresh breadcrumbs 150g mixed nuts such as walnuts, peacans, hazelnuts and Brazil nuts, roughly chopped 3 large eggs, lightly beaten 100g mature cheddar, grated Handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped For the tomato sauce 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced 1 sprig rosemary 400ml passata Method
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/Gas 4. Line the base and sides of a 1.5 litre loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and cook the onion and celery for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Stir in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in the red pepper and grated carrot and cook for about 3 minutes then add the oregano and paprika and cook for just a minute.
- Add the red lentils and tomato purée and cook for about 1 minute, then add the vegetable stock and simmer over a very gentle heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is fairly dry. This should take about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Finally, stir in the breadcrumbs, nuts, eggs, cheese and parsley and a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper. Stir to mix well then spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and press down the surface. Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins, then remove the foil and bake for a further 20 mins until firm when pressed gently.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, heat the oil very gently then add the garlic slices and rosemary sprig. Pour in the passata and add a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper. Simmer gently for just 15 minutes.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for about 10 mins then turn out onto a serving board or plate. Remove the baking paper and cut into slices and serve with a little of the tomato sauce.